Monday, October 25, 2010

Double face-ness and rhythm?

I think of this line as a sort of reflective imagery rhythm a moment of doubling reality:
Shutmup. And bud did down well right. And if he sung dumb in his glass darkly speech lit face to face allaround. ( P: 355 L: 8-9)

   You should be able to find this rhythm in the first few lines ‘And bud did down well right.’ And the above mentioned reflective imagery (double I might add!) is ‘And if he sung dumb (word rhythm) in his glass darkly’ I think of singing blindly and wildly without much clue as to what you are singing; one where you have a moment when you just go for it and don’t give a damn (much like Joyce, who was not all blind).

   ‘Speech lit face to face’ reminds me a bit of the Allen Ginsberg ‘A Supermarket in California’ line ‘the trees add shade to shade’; and William Faulkner’s As I lay dying when Darl is on the train to Jefferson and sees two men who he remarks as looking like a double French penny (right?) and this brings me to a surrealist image of a deep, moving complexity of the human soul. And on and on or should I say on to on…

No comments:

Post a Comment